Nonimmigrant Visas for Workers, Students and other Temporary Visitors

Most people who wish to visit the U.S. from Canada or countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program do not need to secure a visa to travel to the U.S. for short visits.  However, many temporary visitors must obtain a visa to visit the U.S.  These temporary visas are sometimes referred to as “nonimmigrant visas,” as they do not confer U.S. permanent resident status on visa holders (unlike immigrant visas, also known as green cards, which generally allow visa holders to remain in the U.S. indefinitely). Generally visitors must secure a visa if they intend to work, study, invest, get married, or engage in a handful of other activities in the US.  However, a visa only allows a visitor to travel to a U.S. port of entry and request permission to enter the country; holding a visa does not absolutely guarantee that the visa-holder will be granted admission to the U.S. by immigration officials. Our office can help you prepare and file your petition for a temporary visa and we can consult with you to determine which visa would be the best fit based on your needs.  To speak with an immigration lawyer about obtaining a temporary visa to travel to the US, please feel free to contact us.  Edgecomb Law LLC has a nationwide immigration practice, which means that the firm works with immigration clients in the Boston area as well as throughout the United States and abroad.



If you are an entrepreneur or otherwise involved with a small business or startup, you might also want to check out our page on Immigration for Entrepreneurs.

Below is a brief list of some of the most common types of visas that are issued to temporary visitors to the US.

A Visas for Diplomatic and Other Government Officials, and their Employees

B-1 Visas for Temporary Business Visitors

B-2 Visas for Tourists

C Visas for Visitors in Transit

D Visas for Ship or Aircraft Crewmembers


E Visas for Treaty Investors of Merchants


F Visas for Students

H-1B Visas for Workers in Specialty Occupations

I Visas for Members of the Foreign Press, Media and Radio

J-1 Visas for Exchange Visitors

K-1 Visas for Fiances of US Citizens

K-3 Visas for Spouses of US Citizens

M Visas for Students at Vocational and Technical Schools

O Visas for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability

P Visas for Internationally Recognized Athletes and Entertainers

Q Visas for Cultural Exchange Visitors

R Visas for Temporary Religious Workers

TN Visas for NAFTA Professionals

U Visas for Immigrants Who Are Victims of Crimes

V Visas for Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents

Visas for Spouses and Children of Temporary Visa-holders

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. MATERIAL PUBLICITARIO DE ESTUDIO JURIDICO. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.​ Attorney Sarah C. Edgecomb is admitted to practice in New York. Edgecomb Law LLC's practice is strictly admitted to federal immigration and tax law.

© 2013 by Edgecomb Law LLC.​


  • Twitter Classic
  • Facebook Classic